What is Stainless Steel Cutlery?
Stainless Steel cutlery has been made using a composite of steel, chromium and nickle. These ingredients ensure cutlery is easy to clean, does not corrode easily and most importantly, is durable. These days, most cutlery is made from Stainless Steel with varying amounts of chromium and nickle; this is represented in a number generally either 18/10 or 18/0 stainless steel. Here we discuss what is 18/10 stainless steel.
How Do I Clean Stainless Steel Cutlery?
Stainless Steel cutlery is prized for its easy-care. However, it is important to be guided by the manufacturer’s instructions. Top tips include:
- Rinse cutlery immediately after use
- After washing, either by hand or in the dishwasher it is recommended you dry immediately. Prolonged exposure to moisture can cause pitting
Does Stainless Steel Cutlery Rust?
The Chromium component of stainless assists in preventing the stainless steel from corroding. However, the reality is that all steel, including stainless steel can rust. Regardless of which brand you purchase all stainless steel cutlery is susceptible of rust corrosion and pitting in the right conditions. Luckily, this is easy to prevent and also to fix.
How to Prevent rust on your cutlery
- Clean and dry your cutlery immediately after use. Prolonged exposure to acidic foods, and salts will lead to rust and pitting
- Don’t leave your cutlery pieces to dry in the dishwasher
- Avoid detergents with citrus additives
- When filling your dishwasher, ensure you do not not over fill the cutlery basket
How to clean rust and staining on Cutlery
If you are seeing some rust or staining on your cutlery, then don’t stress, it can be easily salvaged. Clean the spots with a plastic scourer and baking soda paste. You can also use speacilist stainless steel polish, this will assist in bringing back the sheen to the surface.
What to consider when purchasing Stainless Steel Cutlery
Looking to buy a new cutlery set, and have no idea where to start? Here are our top tips:
- Look for 18/10 stainless steel sets. This will provide you with a higher sheen and more lumiunous polish
- Consider how you dine. If you entertain regularly or enjoy salads and soups then a 56pc setting would be a better option for you. These sets accomodate for up to 8 people.
- Think about your style. Contempory ranges will often have squarer shaped handles with a minimalist style. More traditional offerings such as the Stanley Rogers Libra Cutlery Set will have a more rounded profile.
- Quality cutlery will alwasy feel great to hold. Why? because they will have a wonderfully polished feel with seemless edging.
- Click here to read our 7 Stainless Steel Cutlery Sets for everyday use