For years people around the world have dined with French Laguiole cutlery, enjoying the beautiful coloured handles, polished stainless steel and of course the perfect bee symbol, that signifies it’s French origin. Australia has fallen in love with French Laguiole also. The Question is How to Identify Genuine Laguiole Cutlery.
As the popularity for French handmade Laguiole cutlery grew, Chinese manufactures took advantage of this, and began producing a substandard product, all the whilst marketing the cutlery as “Laguiole’.
There are retailers in Australia that are selling Chinese ‘Laguiole’ without specifying the country of origin online. There are retailers selling Chinese Laguiole look cutlery at the same price as the genuine French product. Here is how to protect yourself and your hard earned dollar from being duped.
How to be certain it is Genuine French Laguiole Cutlery:
- Genuine Laguiole cutlery is Made in France. The words Made in France should be etched into the products. Eg You should be able to see it clearly on your knives that they are Made in France. Chinese products shall not have this.
- Genuine French products shall have country of origin marked on their authenticity certificate and / or box. Example – Made in France or Made in Theirs etc. On this point it is important to note if the product does not have any country of origin then you should ask first before making your purchase.
Marketing tactics to lead you to believe it is Genuine French Laguiole:
- A big French flag on the box – this does not mean Made in France.
- A certificate of authenticity directing you to a website ending in www.**********.fr – this does not mean the product is Made in France
- A brand name which sounds French – this does not mean the brand is of French origin or made in France
- If a retail website says ‘World renowned French cutlery’ does not mean it is Made in France.
- Just because a website goes on and on about the history of French cutlery production does not mean it is Made in France.
At the end of the day these tactics whilst deplorable are being used to get your sale over the line at whatever cost. So if it doesn’t say MADE IN FRANCE on the Blade, Made in FRANCE on the labels then unless you get it in writing assume it is NOT MADE IN FRANCE.
We have heard plenty of stories of disappointment so please if you are after genuine French cutlery be vigilant. If the ACCC would do their job to protect you the consumer from deception techniques in the market we wouldn’t have to. If you feel you have been sold a product deceptively contact the ACCC.
About Jean Dubost Laguiole
As far as the French go there is only one real brand of Laguiole cutlery and that is Genuine Jean Dubost. It is the brand others copy from. It is the 100% French company who first exported Laguiole cutlery outside Europe decades ago and made it famous world wide. Jean Dubost has many imitators but none come close to the beauty, finish, material or bespoke design. If you are looking for the very best in genuine French Laguiole cutlery then Jean Dubost cutlery Made in Theirs, France is the only name you should consider. The Laguiole Jean Dubost Lighthorn cutlery set is amongst Jean Dubost most favoured designs. It suits most homes both traditional through to contemporary and always presents a look of sheer luxe.