With each use of your knife, the edge naturally bends over just a microscopic bit, the edge is still sharp, but the sharpest part isn’t making contact with the food. The Shun Honing Steel 23cm is designed to realign the blade edge so that the sharpest part contacts the food, enabeling you to go longer between sharpenings.
While fine European knives can require honing after each use, Shun’s harder steel means you can hone just once a week or so, depending on your level of use.
Features of Shun Honing Steel 23cm
- Built in angle guide makes precision honing easy
- Rod length: 23cm
- Stainless steel with micro ribs
- Handle: D-shaped ebony PakkaWood
- Handcrafted in Japan
- Attractive gift box
1. To ensure protection of your Shun knife we recommend using a knife block, a knife case, in-draw knife holder, sheath or magnetic bar. Throwing your Shun knife into a draw with other cutlery can dull or chip your knife.
2. Timber and polypropylene cutting boards are recommended as they are soft materials which shall be forgiving to the blade edge. Essentially if the knife leaves a cut line in the board it is sufficiently soft. We do not recommend cutting on ceramic, marble, granite or acrylic as these shall blunt your blade edge quickly.
3. Hone your blade regularly avoids the need for full sharpening and extends the life of your knife.
4. Due to many dishwasher detergents having high corrosive agents in them such as citrus based concentrates it is not recommended to wash your Shun knife in the dishwasher. A mild dish detergent is far less corrosive and is better for the long term protection of your knife against pitting and marking.